Monday 2 July 2007

Boredom

My Brain - Sue Harker

frank herbert wrote in dune, "Fear is the mind-killer ...", but i believe that, "Boredom is the mind-killer ..." not just when you are 'housebound', but in everyday life too. you need to find things that interest you, things you enjoy, things that make you feel fulfilled. i used to be a bored drone, but one of the blessings that has come from what has happened to me is that i have been given all this time that other people don't have, a chance to 'step back' and re-evaluate my life. a chance to rediscover hidden talents, interests and joys that got lost somewhere between the stress of work and drunken weekends.

so, if you are bored here are some things you can do, mostly without even leaving the house ;-) i have spent hours cataloguing and 'touching up' all my precious photographs, organising old music and finding new music, watching entire series of TV shows or movies that i have always meant to watch and even learning to make my own movies. i have found my long forgotten love of writing through this blog, i found/find the outside world fantastic and exciting and love photographing it, i have started painting again (ambitious plans for using my MRI images to create triptychs) and i still have many books i want to read. i have time to correspond with friends that are far away and to take afternoon cat naps, hmmm ... love those!

my 'tragedy' has also become my 'awakening'. an 'awakening' to how extraordinary life is and how much there is to marvel at and be grateful for in the world.

No comments: