Monday 9 April 2007

Situation

okay, i'll leave the historical details sketchy for now. i'm sure all my dirty secrets will come out eventually, but i think the AVM part of the story should come first. so, just a quick intro. I am a 26 year old South African female. i have been teaching english in taiwan for over 2 years. my spoken chinese is not bad, although i can only read about 5 characters. i was nearing my goal savings amount of 500 000 NT$. part to be put into permanent savings and part to be used to travel asia, europe and then south america. i planned to work when i needed money and hopefully add to my original savings as well. colin (my boyfriend) and i were gonna travel together and see what happened. "Leaving Taiwan in May", sick of it really. i was working my ass off, not enjoying most of it except for the kids. it is a special experience to be able to communicate with a child from a completely different culture in their second language. My kindergarten kids were/are especially dear to me.

but really i just had my head down and was plowing through the last few months. the money was gonna save me and make me happy. travelling was gonna make me happy. although you will start to notice a certain trend in my life of moving around a lot. trying to run away from myself i think. but i had pretty much cut myself off from any friends i had left in taiwan and getting out was my only aim. i had decided a long time ago that i hated the country and the people, but that is a subject for another post. so yeah, now i am gonna be in taiwan for a long time. i am not working and watching my savings circle down the drain. everything that was important to me, everything that i planned for is irrelevant. and i am bitter and angry about it (which i have to work through), but i believe in gaia (as in mother earth philosophy) and fate. so, this is the world's way of waking me up and telling me there are more important things in life. the "best laid plans of mice and men" right? i never seem to learn. i will also be eternally grateful when i can walk down the road unaided and be fabulous again.

No comments: